Friday, August 7, 2015

A picture caption

A picture caption can be a good reading material for high school students. For example, I found this picture and its caption in The Japan News, August 5, 2015.


Never forgetting
Yoshitoshi Fukahori, 86, prays at Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki on March 9. Fukahori was a victim of the bombing when he was 16 years old and working under a student mobilization program during World War Ⅱ. The workplace was located about 3.5 kilometers from the blast’s hypocenter. On the ninth of each month he offers prayers in front of the church altar in the morning and the evening. “How is it there? Do you feel at ease there? I’m doing fine, by some means or other,” he says, addressing his elder sister Chizuko who died near the hypocenter. “I never forget the ninth of the month. If I forget it, my sister will hit me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment