Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Sumida River and the small school yard

1983 was a bad year for me. So I wanted to start something new when I entered Kuramae Junior High School in 1984. I joined the track and field club and started running. My target was mainly 1000m, 1500m and 3000m. I wanted to be a long distance runner. Van Halen, an American rock band, gave me power. It was 1984.
The Sumida River runs near my school. Our school yard was small, so we sometimes went out of school and ran along the river.
It was perhaps July in 1984. On that Saturday afternoon, we were running in the school yard. Our yard was so small that we had to make 10 rounds to complete 1000m. All I could do was just running. Other boys looked big. 1000m seemed too long.
After 10 rounds, I fell down on the ground. Above me only sky ― No, there was our school building. And then, I saw a girl looking down at the ground from the window above. That moment might have been the beginning of my bitter school days.

No comments:

Post a Comment